Tuesday, February 8, 2011

It's all Academic

I just pretend to be a builder/farmer/educator. My real identity is as mild-mannered graduate student. My research seeks to explore ways in which permaculture can be integrated into secondary science classes as a way to enhance students' scientific literacy, ecological literacy, systems-thinking skills and attitudes towards learning science in school. I am lucky enough to be researching through the Centre for Science and Technology Education Research (CSTER) at the University of Waikato.



Not only are my research supervisors fantastic, but my chief supervisor, Dr. Chris Eames, thought it may be a good idea to plant a community garden for the CSTER in the middle of a campus otherwise consisting of concrete towers and asphalt parking lots. We first planted the garden on September 21st, 2009.




Almost a year and a half later, we have expanded the garden and harvested tomatoes, beans, corn, basil, corgette, aubergine, chilis, lettuce, silverbeet, and...



...SPUDS!


Here's to the best PhD supervisor ever. Thanks Chris!



Peace, Estwing

No comments:

Post a Comment